Friday, September 22, 2006

Keeping It Local

Ame and I never saw eye to eye when it came to shopping in Falmouth. She always felt a responsibility to keep things local and I was alway about saving a buck, even if we needed to travel out of town. I guess that's why when it came time for us to buy a recliner [when she couldn't sleep in a bed] she won out and we overpaid at the local furniture store. But she was happy and that's all that counted at that point.

She would have been proud today. Emrie needed a pair of new tennis shoes and with it being a rainy day we set out on a mission. I thought about making the trip to the Nike outlet in Dry Ridge [after all, gas is cheap] but before we left town I stopped by Houchen's in town. We were waited on by Mr. Houchen himself and he was great. He pulled out every size 11 in the store and even fitted her. I could not resist. To make a long story short, we paid $45 for a pair of pink Nikes. I know I could have gotten a killer deal at the outlet but then again, somebody has to support the little man.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I could just see Amy's face and the smile as she watched from Heaven at you & Emrie in Houtchens! Sometimes being a good steward is not all about saving a buck or ten.....but giving someone else a little joy (namely Mr Houtchens himself) The joy for him was not even that he made a sale, but more important he was part of a little four year old's life for that moment in time. Somehow, I feel he too thought of that sweet girl that he once knew as Amy Barnard. Thanks for leaving Dave Ramsey at home that day.

Anonymous said...

I can't believe I'm going to say this but.....

good decision--leaving Dave at home that day.

I must be coming down with something :).

Jen said...

Amy is so very proud of you!!

Sandi said...

Chad, I think your friends comments are too funny. Sounds like you received $45 worth of "special treatment".

Anonymous said...

Way Cool Chad.
I'm an independent business woman and I appreciate local shoppers. We can't compete with the big guys, but were right out your back door. We try to shop local as much as we can. How nice to teach Emrie how to be considerate of her home town.