Tuesday, December 05, 2006

My First Trip To The Bar

I've been living in the Falmouth area for over eight years now and yesterday was the first time I had ever stepped foot in either of the local bars.

It all started when I received a call from a frantic mother. Her son, who is a like long alcoholic and friend of mine, had called her from one of the bars in town and was talking like he was going to kill himself. She lives in northern Kentucky so I told her that I would go find him and try to calm him down. So I quickly shut down the office, jumped into my car and headed for The Cold Spot. When I walked in I must say that I received some weird looks, because believe it or not, I'm not a regular. When I asked if they had seen my friend they said he had just left for the bar across town.

So I proceeded to jump in my car and head for Timeout, a bar that I pass daily. When I walked in, the first person I saw was a young man who I've had the opportunity to get to know through Antioch's open gyms. He too was a little shocked to see me walk through the doors. I don't know what he was drinking but he appeared to be a little nervous. I shared a bit of small talk with him and then asked if he had seen my friend. He said he had been there and left already. Come to find out the cops had my friend cuffed and were taking him to jail to sober up. AI.

The whole scenario got me to thinking. I've often wanted to visit the local bars. Not to drink alcohol - I prefer diet Pepsi - but to strike up friendships with people, many of whom are probably lost. I read the Bible and see that Jesus was a friend of sinners and often spent time with them on their turf. The religious leaders of his day got themselves all worked up because he spent time in places he should not have been. I can't say that I know exactly what Jesus would do if he walked the streets of Falmouth today but I have to believe that The Cold Spot and Timeout would be on his list of places visited. If that be the case, then why don't I dawn the doors? Here are two reasons that drive my decision making:

  1. People would never understand if they saw my car at the local bar. What would that look like?
  2. It feels awkward walking into that type of environment. It's outside our comfort zone. I have to admit, I felt like a fish out of water yesterday.

I'm going to continue to seek the Lord about this one but I'll go ahead and tell you...if you see my car at the bar, don't worry, I'm just hitting the diet Pepsis and lovin on people.

________________________________________________

Side note: Yesterday my car was in the shop so I borrowed my mother-in-law's car. I'm sure the nosey Falmouthians took a double take as they saw Ann's car at both bars:) Sorry Ann!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm sure the timing of your car being in the shop and you visiting the local bars is just a "coincidence" :) Remind me not to let you borrow anything of mine anymore.

gretchenhs said...

I hope you warned Ann! *grin*

Sounds like you might have a way to reach people for sure.

Anonymous said...

IF SOMEONE SAYS "WHY WAS YOUR CAR OR ANNES AT THE LOCAL BAR?" JUST LOOK AT THEM AND SMILE...THAT SMILE OF ALL THINGS WILL DRIVE THEM BATTY....YOU DONT NEED TO EXPLAIN TO ANYONE WHY! ( EXCEPT MAYBE YOUR MOTHER-IN-LAW)...LOL

Anonymous said...

People... Falmouthians...Nosy!
You're kidding.
We've got to learn to meet people where they are at.

Sandi said...

THIS IS TOO FUNNY! I have to share with you, when I first became a born again Christian, I did not have a job, and a woman from our parish owned a local bar. She offered me a job, my ex was frequent visitor there, so they gave me a job waiting tables......I ministered to soooo many people there, some listened, some couldn't, some did. I KNOW, the Lord used me there!!!!!!!! And, they respected me. Some talked, but I was GLAD I WAS ONLY THERE FOR A SHORT TIME.

LORD USED ME TO GET THE OWNER ON A RETREAT AT OUR CHURCH........I DO BELIEVE HE WAS BORN AGAIN.......SOON AFTERWARDS, I would see him at the Sunday evening services. HE AND HIS WIFE SOLD THE BAR. That was twenty-some years ago.

I can hear the chatter! lol

Anonymous said...

I'm not eloquent, so below is what I feel lead to share. You are one of the most Godly men I know. all you can do is try. Not everyone is meant to understand. But we all must try. God Bless you!

Ephesians 5:16
Philemon 1:6