Thursday, December 14, 2006

O Christmas Tree

Emrie and I put up the Christmas tree tonight...finally. The last few years I have bit off more then I can chew, cutting down enormous trees and wrestling with them for hours just to get them in the house and set up. I went small this year and I'm glad I did.

But I have to say, the whole decorating process was a little more emotional then I thought it would be. So many memories. Good memories. There was the ornament Amy and I received our first Christmas together. There were the Indiana and Kentucky ornaments [she would have talked trash this year in light of Saturday's game]. There was Emrie's first ornament. Every ornament had a story. If I can be honest, there were some memories I had no problem entertaining but there were others that were far too painful. To boot, in a moment of exhaustion and frustration, Emrie started crying for her mom. That just about did me in. As if it wasn't hard enough.


Don't get me wrong. The whole process was enjoyed by all. I want to develop new traditions and make new memories...it was just a whole lot harder then I thought it would be. But it's over. The tree is up and I need to finish my Christmas shopping before the big day.

4 comments:

Sandi said...

May the Lord Jesus Christ, hold and comfort both you and EM.

Yes, I agree with you regarding putting up ornaments..............most have a memory of who bought it? where we were, and when we hung it.

God be with you Chad. Love and hugs. aunt sandi

Anonymous said...

I know it's hard, but you could take it as a good thing that Emrie still cries for her mommy. That memory is still alive. Amy had a wonderful impact. Emrie has not forgotten. It's good to have a tree. God Bless!

Anonymous said...

I can't imagine how difficult that was for you. You're in my prayers, brother.

Anonymous said...

That must have been so hard for you. I cannot even imagine...You and Emrie are constantly in my prayers.

PS - I still really enjoy reading your blog! Amy