Tuesday, November 06, 2007

Leadership Lessons: Part 3

Yesterday, as I continued my personal study on Biblical leadership, I found a valuable lesson arise from the first chapter of Joshua. I was so inspired I sent out an email to my staff and youth coaches hoping to encourage them. I'd like to share some of what I shared with them.

The lesson: It is vitally important that leaders both know and live out the Word of God.

In Joshua chapter 1, Moses has recently died and God tells Joshua that he is going to lead the Israelites to take hold of the land that God had promised them. I want you to listen to what God tells Joshua, as he begins this incredible task of leading people. He says, "Be strong and courageous, because you will lead these people to inherit the land I swore to their forefathers to give them. Be strong and very courageous. Be careful to obey all the law my servant Moses gave you; do not turn from it to the right or to the left, that you may be successful wherever you go. Do not let this Book of the Law depart from your mouth; meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do everything written in it. Then you will be prosperous and successful. Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the LORD your God will be with you wherever you go." (Joshua 1:6-9)

We all want our ministry to be successful but from what I gather, God tells Joshua that success is his IF he will be careful to follow the scriptures. I share this with you because in some way or another, God has put you in a position of influence. Therefore it will be important that you too are careful to obey the Word and not stray to the right or left. When it comes to leadership, obedience is a big thing. If you get time this week, read Joshua chapter 7. It's a prime example of what happens when sin and disobedience are allowed to creep in. Success if removed:(

Keep up the good work and while you're at, keep your nose in the book. It will be vitally important that you not only know the word but that you live it out in obedience.

No comments: