Thursday, July 03, 2008

I Just Have To Share...

Today I was blessed with two profound thoughts that I just couldn't keep to myself. The first came from Bill Johnson and he was talking about worship. If I can paraphrase, he said, "We need to be careful not to worship worship." As one who really - and I mean really - enjoys worship through song I knew exactly what he meant. The tendency is to elevate the worship experience and therefore God is unknowingly pushed to the sideline. Here's how it sometimes plays out for us. We get bummed out because the regular worship leader is not leading today, or our overriding thought as we leave is that the song set just wasn't what it was last week, or the congregation just didn't "bring it" like they normally do. I think it's then that find ourselves teetering on the edge of worshiping worship. Nehemiah 9:5 eloquently states that God is to be worshiped above all blessing and praise. It says, "May your glorious name be praised! May it be exalted above all blessing and praise!" Church, may we forever place more emphasis on the only one worthy of our worship.

The second thought came from Allen Tinneson and he was talking about forgiveness and said, "The door of our heart is only one door. If you close it to someone who has hurt or wronged you, you close it to God as well." Ouch! I think sometimes we fool ourselves into believing we have forgiven people that we really haven't. I know God really spoke to my heart tonight. Take a moment and ask the Holy Spirit to reveal to you a person(s) that you've closed the door of your heart to and it has become difficult for you to love them as Christ would have you to love them.

No comments: