Thursday, May 18, 2006

Expectations

Expectations. Without them, life is boring. With them, our emotions are left vulnerable.

For example...my daughter and I were scheduled to spend the day tomorrow with some friends from college. The expectations consisted of an afternoon with three [that's a key part of the story] of my best friends and their families, some burgers over the open flame, great conversation, a stitch in my side from extended times of laughter, a little basketball, and a 150 minute round trip [can somebody say "gas money"]. They date, time, and location was set...

And then it all came crashing when we got an email from David announcing that his whole family was sick and that the Jones would no longer be attending. Bummer!

The funny this is...remove the prior expectations and my emotions are running on high. I mean, if you would have told me two months ago that I would have the opportunity to get together with two of my best friends [Kelly & Chris], share some burgers, laughs, and a little round ball, I would have been elated. But somehow those unmet expectations do a number on our psyche.

Don't get me wrong. I'm pumped for tomorrow and can't wait to spend time with the guys. I'm just a little bummed David and his family can't share the day with us.

Expectations. Without them, life is boring. With them, our emotions are left vulnerable. I would have it no other way.

1 comment:

Sandi said...

Well Chad, I EXPECTED to get all confused by trying to set to BLOG. I am now a blogger, and I expect to set up my profile, sometime soon. ha. Aunt Sandi