Friday, June 09, 2006

Spank You Very Much

I treasure my Fridays, not only because they’re my scheduled day off from work, but they’re also my only day I can devote entirely to my daughter. Emrie calls Friday her “daddy day”. Today we gassed up the car and headed to northern Kentucky where we hit one toy store, two book stores, and one set of golden arches. Over all, the day was great.

That’s why at the end of the evening it broke my heart when my adorable Emrie deliberately disobeyed me and I had to discipline her [and yes I do spank her tail when it’s an act of defiance].

Any way you look at it, it’s a horrible experience to administer discipline of any kind and yet, as parents, we do it because we love them and know it is for their betterment.

I couldn’t help but think [as I wailed on her bottom…gently that is] about how it must break God’s heart to discipline me. Lord knows I’ve given him plenty of reasons to do so. And yet the bible says he does it because he loves me. I’m not always certain how his discipline works and what is actually him administering discipline and what is simply the nasty consequences of my stupid behavior, but whatever the case I’m glad I’ve been blessed with two dads [one heavenly, one earthly] who loved me enough to spank my tail when I needed it. Their act of love hasn’t seemed to scar me, but rather make me a better man.

Oh how I hope and pray my daughter knows she has two fathers who love her beyond her wildest imagination.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

There is nothing wrong with a little light tapping on the bottom when it is given with love with a lesson of learning behind it.

I think that is a recipe for a better child.

Hang in there Dad !!!!