Monday, January 29, 2007

Here For The Margaritas

On the weekends that I visit Jennifer in Louisville we get the opportunity to attend Southeast's Saturday night service. I have to say that it's a treat to attend church with Jennifer and the kids and an added blessing to worship in an environment where I don't have a lot of responsibility.

This past weekend we were very excited as Jennifer's sister and her new husband worshipped with us for the every first time. Rebecca and Charlie are 20 somethings who are not yet Christians but seem to be searching for more out of life.

As often happens when you bring lost people to church, funny things happen. Saturday night was a prime example. As Rebecca (Jennifer's sister) settled in for worship and made herself comfortable, she crossed her legs therefore exposing her decorative socks. At first glance I thought they were Christmas socks as they were quite colorful. Upon closer examination I realized they were actually "party" socks. Her leggings read "I'm here for the margaritas!"

I couldn't help but laugh as I was certain, last time I checked, that Cafe 920 didn't serve those kind of drinks:) But the more I thought about it, the more I loved it. I loved it because I can't help but get excited when I see a lost person dawn the doors of the church even if they don't know what's appropriate and what's not. I love to see sinners step into an unfamiliar and often uncomfortable environment for the purpose of finding God...even if they wear their party socks. It tells me there are sick people in the house.

When I look around and see party socks, I'm reminded that the church is far from a social club for Christians, it's a hospital for the sick. Jesus said it himself: "It is not the healthy who need a doctor, but the sick. I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners."

Rebecca, we were glad you came to church with us, socks and all!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What to wear to church? Most of us probably spend more time figuring that out than figuring out how we are going to apply the message we hear at church to our everyday life and put it in action! I find it interesting that just a couple of weeks ago in the fairly large church I attend, that a man, approximately 40 yrs old) was sitting all alone in a pew and the auditorium was crowded. He definitely was dressed down according to this particular church's unwritten, but certainly well recognized "dress code". I actually wondered if he had worked a night shift somewhere and came in from his job. He didn't appear to be a homeless person, he didn't appear dirty or unshaven, just didn't look "middle class". I wrote my husband a quick note during the service asking him "If you feel comfortable with it, could you please make him feel welcome as we leave?" Interestingly enough, the man left the service early, which caused me to wonder even more......Did he sense that he didn't fit in? I felt a sense of saddness and prayed that I would be always sensitive to those around us who are "different". I am a big fan of schools who mandate uniforms as I truly believe it elimates an enormous pressure off kids and parents alike. Picture this.....what if all churches mandated that we all wear a brown robe or tunic to church, would that help us to see their face, their eyes, their heart?? Don't worry, it will never happen, the ACLU would stick their nose in!

Jen said...

I LOVE it!!
Come on in for the party!!