- The early bird as well as the later comer catche the best deals - we had worked until midnight on Friday pricing things and planned on finishing up early Saturday and opening our sale by 8am. Huh! We had people at our door at 7:30am. But but days end I was just wanting to rid of stuff and would practically give it away. I think I sold a nice sofa chair for like $5.
- If you're thinking about it, grab it - At 15 minutes before 8am I had a dad try to talk me down on my golf clubs. He said, "Would you take $10." I nicely told him that it was too early to drop my price and that I had a couple of people coming later in the day to look at the clubs. I saw him ask his son if he wanted to pay the $15 price and the boy shrugged his shoulders like, "I don't know pops." As the father and son were he-hawing around, my friend Keith swooped in and took the clubs to the cash register. Woops! The aggresive seem to prevail at yard sales.
- One man's junk is another man's treasure - I laughed as I watched people pay me money for things I hated and had been collecting dust. Midway through the sale I remembered I had a baby rocker in the back of the garage. I quickly pulled it out, knocked off the cob webs and had it sold before I even had time to put a price tag on the item.
- Never trust the weather man - They had been calling for thunder storms all weekend and we had been praying for decent weather. It was important to have the sale. I needed to declutter before the move and I could use the money. God was awesome and provided a nice overcast day with tons of shoppers.
- Yard sales are exhausting - Like I said, we worked late into the night on Friday pricing and getting things ready, got up at 6am and went strong until 2pm. I think I hit the sack before 10pm for the first time in who knows when. I was beat!
- I love people - It was fun to see the diverse crowd float in and out of my sale. I enjoyed talking to the majority and even got the chance to walk some potential buyers through my home. I like to call it Yard Sale Evangelism.
I'm hoping Floyd County has an annual community yard sale. I think Jennifer and I make a good team:)