Thursday, September 11, 2008

The Unseen Army

I read a story from the Old Testament that I don't recall ever reading before. It was awesome! The story takes place in 2 Kings 6 and the Arameans are hot on the trail of Elisha, a prophet and man of God. They finally track him down in the city of Dothan. It was night and the Aramean army had Elisha surrounded with horses and chariots and a mighty army.

The next morning, Elisha's servant, Gehazi steps outside only to find they are surrounded by a massive army. Yikes! He cries out to his master, "What are we going to do?!" And 2 Kings 6:16 records the following:

"Don't be afraid," the prophet (Elisha) answered. "Those who are with us are more than those who are with them."

And Elisha prayed, "O LORD, open his eyes so he may see." Then the LORD opened the servant's eyes, and he looked and saw the hills full of horses and chariots of fire all around Elisha.

Oh my word! That God would open our eyes that we would see the army that he has surrounded us with in the spiritual realms. To think how many times we panic our become frightened by our surroundings; those enemies that come against us. If God would only open our spiritual eyes to see what Elisha and Gehazi saw. Oh what a difference that would make.

Don't be afraid. God has your back even when you can't see it:)

2 comments:

gretchenhs said...

I just read this as well, isn't that strange!?!
It gave me such hope when I have been in the lows lately. God is always there for me with His army and I just need to give my worries to Him and feel at ease.

Anonymous said...

I'm using this story in a sermon this morning to illustrate John 14:1-14 and why we don't need to be troubled.