Friday, November 21, 2008

Still Exceeding Expectations

I've been reading about the prophet Elijah lately. Today I read about the show down on Mt. Carmel. Elijah challenged the 450 prophets of Baal to see whose God was real. They would construct an altar, make an animal sacrifice and then call on their God to consume it in fire. He whose God show up went home the victor.  So the prophets of Baal do their thing and spend most of the day crying out to their god in desperation - screaming, dancing and even cutting themselves. But no answer!  Elijah then asks them to step aside and they watch as he too constructs an altar, makes a sacrifice. But for added effect he digs a trench around his altar and then proceeds to pour volumes of water over the sacrifice, drenching the wood and the animal to the point that the trench was filled with liquid. In other words, not real conducive for starting a fire:)  Well, if you know the story, God shows up in a mighty way. He sends enough fire, not only to consume the animal sacrifice, but He burns up the wood, the stone altar, the dust and licks up the water!  You know the fire was hot if it consumed rock!

Here was the thought that came to me today as I read this familiar story. I have every reason to believe that Elijah had great confidence that God would show up. Who does something crazy like challenge the enemy when you're out numbered 450 to 1 without a great deal of confidence. He knew his God would answer by fire, there's no doubt about it. But I have to believe that as Elijah saw his God come, he stood with his mouth wide open in awe. I'm certain that in that moment God had exceeded Elijah's expectation!  

My prayer is that as you move in faith and operate in confidence in your God...my prayer is that he blows your mind. My prayer is that he exceeds your expectations and leaves your jaw pinned to the ground because He's an awesome God!

No comments: