Wednesday, December 10, 2008

The Next Chapter

When I resigned from my ministry back at the beginning of October I took a complete leap of faith into the unknown. Literally, I walked away from GCC with no plans, no offers, and absolutely no idea of what God wanted me to do in the next season of my life. In every sense, my future was truly a blank slate. All I knew is that I wanted to follow the lead of the Holy Spirit more than life itself. I didn't care what it cost.

From day one Jennifer and I began to seek the Lord to determine His desire for our future. I knew that I had been called by Him to pastor; when and where I would have the opportunity to do that again was undetermined. At the time, I was just glad to be free to go after the Lord without constraints, and frankly, if I was never "employed" by another church I was content with that.

From day one, I had people approach me and ask if I would be open to pioneering a new church in the community. My common response was to tell them that I was seeking God and He would tell me what I was supposed to do, but in the back of my mind I was thinking, "Absolutely not!" I had watched over the years as pastors left one church and birthed a new one down the street. I wanted nothing to do with that! But I sought the Lord and tried to loosen my grip on what I desired. If I can be honest, what I desired was to partner with a dynamic ministry in the community and use my gifts to serve the body of Christ, not as a lead pastor, simply as a man of God that is hungry to see the church be the church.

It's been said if you want to make God laugh, tell Him your plans:) Though I don't think God is cruel like that, I have seen through the years that so many times, what I want is exactly the opposite of what He is calling me to do.

I think you know where this is going. Jennifer and I feel strongly that God is asking us to plant a new church in Southern Indiana and we've humbly accepted the call. Much is undetermined. All I know is that God is calling me to lead a church that sets aside the traditions of man to go after God.

We're hosting an informational meeting at The Essence Retreat Center in Palmyra this Sunday evening. If you've prayed about it and you feel the Holy Spirit pulling at your heart, please drop me an email and I'll give you the logistics of this first meeting. It will simply be a time for Jennifer and I to cast vision and for any questions to be answered.

No comments: