Saturday, May 27, 2006

I Do, And I Did

In my line of work I do quite a bit of marriage counseling, but more often than not it’s just conversing with individuals who are in horrible marriages and seem to be the only spouse that cares. Almost once a week I would have one of those “are you kidding me” counseling sessions and I would be reminded how blessed I was to be married to a godly woman like Amy. We had an incredible marriage and I would often tell her, “I’m so glad you’re my wife.” I was! I saw first hand how horrible some marriages were. How self centered, how mean, how ugly some spouses could be. Marriage can be so fulfilling. Why do so many people ruin it!

Speaking of great marriages. Today, Emrie and I attended the 50th wedding anniversary for Junior and Betty Lea. Betty has multiple sclerosis and has been bed ridden for most of their marriage. When Junior said “for better, for worse…in sickness and in health”, he meant it. He has waited on her hand and foot for years. Never complaining, just loving her as Christ loved the church. Praise God for men like Junior Lea who make a choice to love even when that beautiful bride that met them at the alter, can no longer walk. Even when the hand that they held as they slipped the ring on her finger is now drawn into a clinched fist. Now, that’s a man!

To all those who find themselves married, can I encourage you to love them while you have them, because you never know how long that season will be.

2 comments:

Sandi said...

Before Bill and I were married, I told my therapist, "I do not know how to be married". She said, "Why don't you make it a threesome"? You, Bill and your God. So, when we said our vows, we said, "WE TAKE YOU", God and us. During our first months of learning to be married, I had to look at Bill as if it would be the very last moment I would see him, and what would my last words be that he would remember...........and when I found it difficult to get out of my pouting self, I had to visualize, Jesus Christ himself, being right next to me, and let me tell you.........I learned pretty quick, to be kind and forgiving. And, that it was ok to disagree..and, have different opinions...no one EVER told me that. God, humility, and sense of humor keeps us through the good, the bad, and the ugly......And, we still hold hands.....I am truly blessed with a GOD LOVING MAN. Your mom and dad gave Bill and I a book by James Dobson, which we read on the plane to Mexico. Dobson said "God made man with 25,000 words, and womam with 50,000." I always had to let Bill know, I haven't spent my words yet, even though, during the 9 hour workday, he had already spent his 25,000 words, but ever so patiently, listened to me. Bill also told me, if I had to have a crisis, please DO NOT HAVE ONE WHILE IU IS PLAYING!! I Thank GOD for everyday I am blessed to have with my husband. ps. We even "like" each other And God bless you Chad. Aunt Sandi

Anonymous said...

Hi, it's Brandy Rae Galloway. I'm sitting in my dorm room at CCU, it's 3 in the morning. I was looking for a bit of a pick-me-up...I have class at 8 in the morning. Then I found myself on this blog of yours. To read someone else's words about my Mamaw and Papaw, to hear that someone else sees them the way I see them, to know that their love has made an impact on the world...well, that's a pretty good pick-me-up. I got a little teary-eyed reading it, so I thought I'd let you know. :)