Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Back From Seattle


Well…not exactly. But I did just listen to a sweet message from the Reform & Resurge Conference held recently at Mars Hill Church in Seattle. I know I’ve said this before, but I love technology [when it works].

I find it boring to cut the grass without my mp3 player. So before firing up the mower, I asked myself, “What do I want to listen to tonight?” It was then that I was reminded of the recent conference that I had heard so much about. So I turn on my computer and within minutes it has traveled to Seattle, pulled down a few mp3 files to my player, and I was on my way. By the end of the evening I felt as if I had just attended a refreshing conference and felt great that I had saved airfare, housing, and registrations costs. Can someone say Dave Ramsey?

Technology never ceases to amaze me. To think that a friend was able to read my blog while vacationing in Hawaii. To think that a missionary in Turkey can listen to my messages online. To think that I can conduct a mobile conversation thanks to my cell and don't even have to hold my phone. To think that in just a few minutes I will watch last week's Southeast service via my computer. These things bless me.

All I have to say is, "Praise God for technology!" May we as the church be compelled to find new and innovative ways to us it for the Kingdom of God.

Note: The Reform message I listened to was one of the best messages I've ever heard on engaging our culture while at the same time holding true to the gospel. If you are a church leader or are just concerned with the body of Christ being culturally relevant, please listen to "Breaking The Missional Code" by Ed Stetzer.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! Thanks for recommending that message. I listened to it while I did some stuff in my office and was blessed as result. It was a reminder to me that I need to be more passionate about getting the gospel to my culture.

Daniel said...

Hi Chad,

I am the worship leader whre Darrel Land preaches.

I think the stuff Mars Hill (as well as the Resurgence conference stuff) offers is fantastic. Mark Driscoll is the highlight of my Tuesdays at work when I get to listen to his weekend sermon. His book, "Confessions of a Refomission Rev" is great too, especially for you full-time pastors.