Monday, October 30, 2006

Ambidextrous

Emrie and I met my parents and my sister's family at Don Pablos on the river tonight. We were celebrating my mom's birthday and as we drove through Newport/Bellvue I realized how much I love the city. I can't describe it, but there is just something appealing about it. The lights. The people. The activity. The proximity to "real" restaurants. The noise.

Now don't get me wrong, I love the country as well. I've always enjoyed nature and thoroughly enjoyed the time Amy and I lived on the farm in McKinneysburg. I remember many nights, just staring up at the sky, gazing at the stars. No lights. No people. The only activity was wildlife and the farmer on his tractor. No restaurants. And the noise was much different in the country.

I guess what I'm finding out is that I'm pretty much content wherever I am. Put me in the city and I'll love it. Place me in the country and I'll love it as well.

Right now, I'm just hanging out in Falmouth and I've yet to determine which it is. Is it city or is it country? I'm not sure it knows.

2 comments:

gretchenhs said...

I can really relate to this one. We've lived in the country for the last 8 years and just recently moved to Lexington. I can't believe how nice it is to run to the store now. Everything is faster and more available. I miss my farm though with the unconditional love of my animals, the quiet, and even the feeling of being safer than I am here.
It's all the give and take, isn't it?

Anonymous said...

I just got back from Newark, Delaware (home of the fighting Blue Hens...GO HENS!) and let me tell you...Falmrouth is DEFINANTLY country. And I have to say...as for me I would choose country life over city life ANY day. The idea that a traffic jam in Cynthiana is 5 people at a stop sign sounds like music to my ears!