Sunday, October 29, 2006

The Invitation

I wanted to share a quick story one of our elders shared during The Well this past Wednesday night. Sorry I'm just getting around to sharing it but it's been a busy week.

Any way, Gary shared how for quite some time he has had some neighbors that live across the street who because of their "wild" lifestyle he thought would never attend church, therefore he hesitated to invite them. He shared that he had a friendship with them but sadly, he had never invited them to give Antioch a try.

Well, three weeks ago a newer member at Antioch moved into the neighborhood. Within the first couple of weeks he had invited them to come to church with him and believe it or not, they showed up. They have now come two straight Sundays and in fact, they bring the whole clan when they come. Praise God!

Two things that struck me as Gary told his story:
  1. What humility it took to share his failure. What a valuable lesson we all learned because he was willing to be open.
  2. No one is too far gone to invite to church. In fact, the farther gone the more they need an invitation.

Kudos to Sugar Harden! Keep inviting your friends brother!

2 comments:

Sandi said...

WOW! Based on my experience long ago, when I was down on my knees, my friend from high school, Sharon came to my house and said "come on we're going to church"! I didn't want to go but desperately needed a boost and someone to invite me "back to church". With out Sharon, I don't know how far down I would have gone, had she not invited me so I didn't have to "be alone" at a church............ Then she literally DRAGGED me down to the basement for introduction. Everyone was saying welcome, PRAISE THE LORD YOU ARE HERE. UGH! I was scared to death of these people, however, GOD KNEW WHO TO SEND TO TOUCH MY HEART THAT DAY. YES, PRAISE THE LORD.

SHARON USED TO COME AND GET ME AND READ SCRIPTURES FROM THE BIBLE TO ME, AND OF COURSE, MY BROTHER FRED, WAS QUOTING THE SAME SCRIPTURES.....I told them to both 'SHUT UP" HA!............TO this day, I remember the scriptures they quoted to me that so touched my heart.

"IF I WAS THE ONLY PERSON ON THIS EARTH, GOD STILL WOULD HAVE SENT HIS ONLY SON TO SAVE "ME"

IF HE FEEDS THE BIRDS, WHY WOULDN'T HE FEED YOU/"ME"

KEEP REACHING OUT TO THE LOST WITH GOD'S LOVE, THAT IS SO FOREIGN TO TROUBLED PEOPLE. SANDI

Anonymous said...

I know everyone of them and believe me, too see them in church on sunday was a shock for even me but that goes to show what prayer will do...